[pct-l] How the PCT differs from the PCT-L

I'm willing to bet it was a Border Collie. Not only are they stronger than any hiker here, they're a bit smarter and less opinionated too. This leads me to my next thought:

On this list, there are lots of different opinions and by many different people of diverse backgrounds. It is a great place to share experiences and to learn from others, which I hope is the mission of this board. That said, it is also a very negative place in far too many respects (as this letter may sound to some). The "I'm right, you're wrong" view is omnipresent here; (dogs vs. no dogs; bear canisters vs. no canisters; ultralight vs. more comfort; today's hikers vs. "back in our day", etc). It's ironic how different it is out there on the trail, where nearly everyone is upbeat and positive---and open minded, no matter what 'humble' convictions they may have, or what choices they make en route. I am a liberal, left wing, tree-hugging hippy purist at heart and yet one of the people I became closest to on the PCT was a fellow named Load, who makes our president (for those of us in the US) look like a southpaw compared to me. Did it matter to us out there? No. We enjoyed each other's
 droll, talking in depth, understanding one another's stances, and hearing why we each felt the way we did about our beliefs. We didn't argue until we were blue in the face and then repeat the same arguments over and over. (Though we did hike until we were blue in the face, and for whatever reason, repeated it over and over).

I guess all I'm really trying to say is we should all strive to keep more of an open mind here as we likely would on the trail...so, to next year's crop and those beyond: Go live your dream. Start when you want (February is NOT too early if you go slow enough and June ISN'T too late if you're quick enough), bring your dog (Disclaimer: except where the law prohibits it...but even then, one must first know the rules in order to break them and it's not a law to know the law), forget your bear canister (Disclaimer: except where the law 'requires' it...), go for a speed record or go for a slow record, and keep an open mind---and in shape. The knowledge you'll gain is greater than anything here in this forum because here's the thing: Wisdom isn't received, you must discover it for yourself, after a journey no-one else can take but you. Unlike this list, on the PCT, things aren't always just black and white; in fact, they're every color conceivable and they are all beautiful. Go see for
 yourselves.

My next big hike is for my buddy Stevie, who never took the chance---and therefore, never got the chance---to do his thru-hike. I'll be spreading some of his ashes en route.

A piece of my mind and peace of mind to all,
Chuckie

Merry X-mas!