[pct-l] dogs

Hi Yogi,

Let's wish them well.  I would love to take the family Border Collie Sam (Osama the issue dog) or Reilly (mine,mine,mine) the Lab on the trail, but realize that it would be unsafe for lots of reasons to do so.  Instead the three of us hike the local hills where I walk 12 miles or so and they run 20 miles chasing up and down the hills.

Leo.
From: whitethunder10 at hotmail.com (Joseph Niemiec)
Date: Tue Dec 21 11:02:51 2004
Subject: [pct-l] Independent Hiking & Trail Angels

I have to admit though, $5 at Echo lake to post a message to another hiker
on their outdoor pegboard?  Weak.

And VVR - reselling hiker box food and used insoles?  double weak...

Just remember that in general these rules apply but their are the the places
looking to rip you off too!
Especially VVR...

Trail Angels - Awesome! (unweak)

Mouse

&gt;From: &quot;PCT List&quot; &lt;PCT@DelNorteResort.Com&gt;
&gt;To: &lt;pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net&gt;
&gt;Subject: [pct-l] Independent Hiking &amp; Trail Angels
&gt;Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 18:27:48 -0800
&gt;
&gt;2 points I want to make up front:
&gt;
&gt;* Your thru-hike is an INDEPENDENT undertaking.
&gt;
&gt;* Gathering a list of trail angels names &amp; phone numbers from Campo
to Manning,
&gt;should not be an integral part of pre-hike planning.
&gt;
&gt;Last summer I was forced to read journals instead of hiking, by my own
decision.
&gt;Of course, they were ALL entertaining. :) One shameless CDT journal I
read briefly should
&gt;have been named, &quot;Leeching from Glacier to Gila: a thru-hikers
guide&quot;.
&gt;
&gt;IMHO, &quot;a thru-hike is an independent venture to be shared with
others, not for others
&gt;to endure&quot;. Others may not share your enthusiasm for YOUR hike.
&gt;
&gt;I've heard a number of complaints about the PO in Echo Lake. Here's a
tip: plan your
&gt;visit around their business hours, not what's convenient for YOUR hike.
Be patient with
&gt;them, YOUR needs do not come first. It's a busy place, they have other
customers as
&gt;well. Knocking on PO doors (or any business) after hours is poor
planning on your part,
&gt;sets a very bad precedent and reflects very badly on the entire hiking
community.
&gt;
&gt;Trail Angels and the 'magic' they provide are truly a luxury. They are
instigators of
&gt;&quot;timely good fortune&quot;.
&gt;
&gt;You have no right to ask of others what you are capable of obtaining
yourself. Trail Angels
&gt;are not provided as a convenience with your permit. If you abuse this
priveledge, it will
&gt;disappear. If you ask a stranger for help, doesn't it seem logical to
exhaust all of your
&gt;options first?
&gt;
&gt;When you think of Trail Angels, you have to think of the Saufley's. Had
I NOT camped on
&gt;their lawn, had I NOT let Donna do my laundry, I would have felt guilty,
like I was disrespecting
&gt;a long held tradition. :) With that said, to see some people stay for
days was beyond my
&gt;comprehension. Maybe everyone is ok with that, but I didn't get it (my
issues).
&gt;
&gt;It's YOUR hike. Before you burden someone with your adventure, ask
yourself if this is really necessary.
&gt;
&gt;One final stone to throw. How about a thru-hiker Code of Conduct? A list
of thou shall and thou shall nots?
&gt;Something everyone can carry with them along the trail....assuming it's
not to, um, heavy. ;)
&gt;
&gt;Scott
&gt;