[pct-l] Independent Hiking & Trail Angels

2 points I want to make up front:

* Your thru-hike is an INDEPENDENT undertaking.

* Gathering a list of trail angels names & phone numbers from Campo to Manning,
should not be an integral part of pre-hike planning.

Last summer I was forced to read journals instead of hiking, by my own decision.
Of course, they were ALL entertaining. :) One shameless CDT journal I read briefly should
have been named, "Leeching from Glacier to Gila: a thru-hikers guide".

IMHO, "a thru-hike is an independent venture to be shared with others, not for others
to endure". Others may not share your enthusiasm for YOUR hike.

I've heard a number of complaints about the PO in Echo Lake. Here's a tip: plan your
visit around their business hours, not what's convenient for YOUR hike. Be patient with
them, YOUR needs do not come first. It's a busy place, they have other customers as
well. Knocking on PO doors (or any business) after hours is poor planning on your part,
sets a very bad precedent and reflects very badly on the entire hiking community.

Trail Angels and the 'magic' they provide are truly a luxury. They are instigators of
"timely good fortune".

You have no right to ask of others what you are capable of obtaining yourself. Trail Angels
are not provided as a convenience with your permit. If you abuse this priveledge, it will
disappear. If you ask a stranger for help, doesn't it seem logical to exhaust all of your
options first?

When you think of Trail Angels, you have to think of the Saufley's. Had I NOT camped on
their lawn, had I NOT let Donna do my laundry, I would have felt guilty, like I was disrespecting
a long held tradition. :) With that said, to see some people stay for days was beyond my
comprehension. Maybe everyone is ok with that, but I didn't get it (my issues).

It's YOUR hike. Before you burden someone with your adventure, ask yourself if this is really necessary.

One final stone to throw. How about a thru-hiker Code of Conduct? A list of thou shall and thou shall nots?
Something everyone can carry with them along the trail....assuming it's not to, um, heavy. ;)

Scott

Home     : http://DelNorteResort.Com