[pct-l] Picking up mail when the PO is closed

That's a lot of information, and I'll admit that I didn't
read it all.  What I can tell you is that I go to the PO
here in Kansas City every day and mail boxes that
weigh 2 pounds 7 ounces (my books).  I print the
mailing label (with postage ) from the internet and
tape it to the box.  I asked the person at my PO if
I could mail my boxes in the box drop without
physically handing them to a Postal employee.
She said that if it fits in the box drop, then it's
okay no matter what it weighs.  I've never had a
box returned.

I was surprised when she told me that I could do
this, because I was under the impression that if
a box weighed more than a pound, it had to be
handed to a Postal employee.

When you use Click-n-Ship, a pop-up window
appears that states if you have anything "liquid,
fragile, or potentially hazardous", you have to
give the box to a person.

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com

Brett <blisterfree@isp01.net> wrote:
>>But you cannot mail anything out. Correction -- you could
>>drop letters in the outgoing mail slot, or if you have a
>>box which has prepaid postage, you could put it in the box
>>drop. But there will not be a counter person there who can
>>weigh your package and take money from you.

Is it, in fact, still legal to drop packages (vs 1st class
letters) into mail boxes and drop slots? I seem to recall
recent USPS warnings that mail weighing over 1 pound had to
be handed to a live human being. You know, for "clearance."
(Are you SURE you wouldn't like insurance, confirmation,
extra stamps, something?? ;)

Ah, here it is (from the USPS website):

What are the Security Restrictions on Mail dropped in a
Collection Box® Receptacle?
(note: "collection box" is apparently a catch-all term for
the various types of receptacles, ie mail box, mail chute,
etc.)

Because of transportation security, not all mail may be
placed in United States Postal Service® Collection Box®
receptacles.

[ Click-N-Ship® and PC PostageT items are considered
metered mail in the following definitions ]

The following mail items are Allowed to be Placed in a
Collection Box receptacle:

a.. Domestic Express Mail® items - all (regardless of
method of postage)
b.. Domestic stamped mail - weighing less than 16 oz.
c.. Domestic metered mail - ALL
d.. Domestic Business Reply Mail (BRM) - ALL
e.. International mail (stamped or metered) - Meeting all
of the following:
1.. Weighs less than 16 oz.
2.. Does not require a customs form.
3.. Is not a Global Express Guaranteed® (GXG) item.
f.. Global Express MailT (EMS) items paid with Express
Mail Corporate Account - ALL
g.. Official mail* (penalty or government agency**) - ALL
h.. Free Matter for the Blind - ALL
i.. APO/FPO from any mailer other than government
agency** - weighing less than 16 oz.
j.. APO/FPO from government agency** - weighing less than
16 oz.
k.. APO/FPO from government agency that does not include
non-exempt items (dutiable items, dangerous materials,
custom-form requiring items)** - 16 oz or over
The following mail items are NOT allowed in a Collection Box
receptacle:

a.. Domestic stamped mail - weighing 16 oz or over
b.. Global Express Guaranteed (GXG) items - ALL
c.. Global Express Mail (EMS) items - (except those paid
with Express Mail Corporate Account)
d.. International stamped mail - weighing 16 oz or over
e.. International metered mail - weighing 16 oz or over
f.. International mail that requires a customs form
(except those paid with Express Mail Corporate Account)
g.. APO/FPO from any mailer other than government
agency** - 16 oz or over
h.. APO/FPO from government agency that includes
non-exempt items (dutiable items, dangerous materials,
custom-form requiring items)** - 16 oz or over
Notes :

a.. * Official mail also includes hospitals, colleges,
universities, and prisons.
b.. ** Government Agency = Federal, State, or Local
government agency
c.. All international mail 16 oz or over must have customs
forms affixed: PS Form 2976 or PS Form 2976-A (June 1997 or
later)
d.. Mail deposited incorrectly will be Returned to Sender
for proper deposit.
If the mail piece is not acceptable to be placed in a
Collection Box receptacle, you may:

a.. Schedule a Pickup On Demand or Carrier pickup service
(if available in your area)
b.. Hand the mail piece to a carrier (weight of the mail
piece must fall within the restrictions of the mail class,
for example: the maximum weight for Global Priority Mail®
(GPM) is 4 lbs, etc)
c.. Take the item to a postal facility window for
assistance.
- bf