[pct-l] keeping your bag dry

This addresses keeping your bag dry during storage and transport. Once you
take it out and expose it to the relative humidity in the ambient air, all
bets are off. If you camp in the clouds, your bag - down or synthetic - will
absorb water. After several nights like this, they can get quite wet.
Purchasing a bag with a water repellent finish or microfiber shell will
help, but the inside of the bag is still vulnerable.

If you really expect a lot of rain or will be crossing lots of water and
want your bag ABSOLUTELY protected during storage and transport, buy one of
the OR Advanced Hydroseal stuff sacks. They are designed for use in canoes
and kayaks and are totally waterproof and their roll-drown dry bag tops seal
out everything but air.
http://www.orgear.com/home/style/home/storage/storage_stuffsacks/storage_stuff_dry/SSA

"Our unique Hydroseal fabric combines a durable, 4 oz. Antron-nylon oxford
cloth with our special Hydroseal-200? coating. Waterproof to 200 psi, and
pliable at -40 degrees, our stuff sacks can take an amazing amount of abuse,
and will last much longer than the typical taffeta sacks. Our Advanced Stuff
Sacks feature a roll-down, dry bag-style top with Velcro attachment.,
factory-taped seams and external daisy chain for lashing to packs, etc. They
are Slick and supple for jamming into kayak bulkheads and tight places."

They come in 8 different sizes and several different highly visible colors
(I'm partial to yellow and silver). A down sleeping bag should fit in a #3
size easily; a synthetic may require a #4. . I've found that a 20x72 inch
foam pad fits perfectly in a #7 which also protects it on the outside of my
pack if I'm bushwacking. I do not like putting my dry down bag on a wet pad
in camp - kind of negates all the effort to keep the bag dry in the first
place. I also use them for my spare clothes. With the daisy chain on the
outside, they attach easily to my pack.

According to my scale:
#1 =  2-1/2 oz
#2 =  3-1/2 oz
#3 =  4oz
#4 =  5 oz
#7 =  4 oz

Plastic bags are fine for preventing rain that enters your pack from soaking
your sleeping bag, but they do not do total immersion worth a damn. If you
plan to use a boat, fall into a stream or must cross hip-deep water, your
bag is at risk unless you are using one of these Advanced Hydroseal sacks.

Wandering Bob Bankhead