[pct-l] PCT Financial Planning

My PCT dreams originated in college in about 1972 fed by folks in the outdoor program at the U of Oregon.  By 1976 I had gathered enough resources to do it, but I had also gathered a wonderful wife with whom I made joint decisions.  The decision was to spend 1976 bumming around Europe, a decision I have never regretted. But life moves on quickly and now I am 20+ years into a career as a government prosecutor with many promises to keep (especially to three great kids entering their own college years).  One of the reasons I chose to work for the government was the promise that, if I worked long and hard for relatively low wages, I would be rewarded with a pretty generous retirement package.  Of course, there are now greedy politicians circling the public employee's retirement fund like so many vultures, but I remain hopeful that the government will keep most of its promises and I will be able to retire in 5 years at age 58.  I will not be ready to foresake the working world altogether (I'll still have one in college, I hope), but I hope to work out some kind of job sharing deal with another aging lawyer. Here's my pitch:  I will take the work load during those cold, dark and soggy Oregon months from October through April while you retire to the tropics.  You return for the matchless Oregon summer, while I hike the trail.

So, the dream postponed, I experience the trail vicarously (here and in the trail journals) and struggle to stay fit and in good health so I can backpack into my old age.  I am thinking of ways to keep the dream alive in the intevening years.  I will try some section hiking, I am sure.  I have even thought of trying to jump in for short vacations with the thru pack.  Say, ADZPCTKO in 2006 and hike to Warner Springs.  I would love to hear other "keep-the-dream-alive" ideas.

Wayne Kraft