[pct-l] Ultra Rod

This is like something I devised at 10 years old.
When I fly fish I only use the reel to store the line.  The line is looped
in my hands when I'm using it.  There goes the reel.  Does the rod need a
handle?  Sticks don't have them.  Remove the butt end sections from an
ultralight pack rod leaving 3-5 feet toward the tip. (A lot of thrift
stores have just the three plus feet tips to rods that they'll almost give
away.)
If you only need to go 20 feet to dangle a midge in front of a Brookie
shelf, maybe you can cut way back on line weight.  Take four to six feet of
heavy floating fly line.  On one end stick a short, no shorter than that
leader.  On the other backup line.  No more than you need.  Since there is
no reel, make your backup line 40 yes 40 lb. or stronger.  The backup heavy
line will have less tendency to tangle but weigh far less than fly line.
Cast using the section of fly line as a weight.
The rest  .......... a few flies and a couple size 18 or so bare  hooks.
Foil, salt and pepper packets, and a sharp knife

Warner Springs Monty

<PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net>