[pct-l] Donna's horse encounter tips

This discussion reminds me of our leaving Benchmark Ranch on the CDT on the
day before hunting season. When we arrived at the trailhead the number of
pickups and horse trailers was astounding. Must have been a hundred or more
trailers and at least that many pickups. The horse trains (can't call them
pack trains cuz all they were hauling was people - hunters) were about 15-20
horses long. We saw that we needed to get into the lead and started out
fast. The first horse train came up behind us, but was really going at the
same speed as we were. I think he caught us when we stopped to register that
we were going into the wilderness.  Later we had to stop to take off our
fleece and they got past us. We followed them for awhile, then they stopped
because of some problem. The jockeying went on until we stopped for lunch.

At one point the "lead dufus" told us to wait for his train to pass because
they were going to be faster than we could hike. We explained that we didn't
think we were any slower than the horses and didn't want to follow in all
the horse dung.  I think we proved to him that we were faster than his
horses. By late morning his riders had sore butts and some were walking. At
that point it was no contest, we were way faster than the sore walkers.

The last rider in the trains was part of the outfitter group. He carried a
radio to contact the leader to stop the train. We weren't able to convince
him to let us pass the train when we were behind.

The funniest part of the day was when we stopped in mid morning to take off
our Frogg Toggs. Not thinking about the horses passing 10 yards away, Marcia
shook the pants after she removed them. Instant rodeo! Actually after the
first reaction all the horses settled down quickly. As Donna said, no fast
actions around the horses.

Ken