[pct-l] Common Courtesty (was bicycles)

>What ever happened to common courtesy,
>
>slower traffic yielding to faster traffic
>
>uphill traffic yielding to downhill traffic.
>
>I was raised to believe these were the guiding principles of using roads and trails.  They apply to all.

Your guides to common courtesty are a little different than mine and
what I've experienced.

Wen I'm driving I try to not unduly impede others including those who
come up behind me. However if I'm driving at or above the legal speed
limit I am unlikely to pull over into a turn out or whatever so that
speeders may pass and I don't recall other drivers doing so either. Now
if I'm driver slower than the limit, and as I get older I sometimes
drive slower than the speed limit I will pull into a turnout to let
faster cars go by. I also try to stay out of the fast lane if I'm not
driving fast.
While hiking if another hiker catches up with me, I will step off and
allow the other to pass at the first convenient spot. More than
courtessy, I don't like someone hiking close behind me, especially a
stranger.

AS to uphill versus downhill traffic, I've always followed the rule than
downhill traffic yield to uphill traffic, both driving and hiking. I
think this is the law in California for vehicles. While hiking and
backpacking, likewise and I recall others I've met doing likewise. The
reason for this is that downhill traffic has a much easier time resuming
travel than the uphill. For the same reason I like to take my breaks and
pauses where I at least have a step or two of downhill to regain my
momentum and pace.

John