[pct-l] Donna's horse encounter tips

Thanks, Donna.

All along the CDT I asked horse packers what their preferred behavior from
backpackers was. You have summed it all up wonderfully in one neat package.
I hope PCT-ers really take note, because they WILL encounter horses
unexpectedly on narrow sections of trail on steep hillsides and suddenly
wonder, "Oops, What do I do now?

Really good advice...

Dr Bob

-------------------------------
Some tips to keep in mind when encountering horses on the trail to prevent
them from spooking:

-   Stop at a safe distance.

-   Greet and talk to the rider, and ask them what they'd like you to do.
This does two things:  you find out the rider's preference and what works or
doesn't work with that particular animal (and boy, can they be different).
You also let the horse know you are a human.  This is especially important
if you have appendages like a backpack, umbrella, or bike.  The horse may
literally not recognize you as human, and your voice helps them identify
you.

-   Unless a rider tells you to, it's never a good idea to go onto the
uphill side of the trail -- horses have a natural fear of things taller than
them, and being flight animals, you could imperil the rider and horse.

-   Stand still and talk to the horse in a soothing voice as it passes you,
for the same reasons stated above.

-   Don't move off too fast after you've been passed by the horse; let a
little distance happen and then move out without jerky or rapid movements.

-=Donna Saufley=-