From: Trekker4@aol.com
Sent: Dec 3, 2004 12:25 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: Re: [pct-l] bicycles

    Non-motorized bicycles definitely cause lots of trail wear, from tire
slippage on any uphill or downhill with much of a slope. Anyone, who hikes any
part of the Colorado Trail open to bicycles, sees it all day, every day; I'm
sure I'll see it on my 1/3 PCT next spring, especially close to the cancerous
jungle areas, Greater San Diego and Greater Los Angeles.
    On the CT, when I heard a bike careening up behind me, I picked a spot to
step off, but didn't immediately; I'd slowly turn around and pretend to be
looking for a spot to step off the trail, forcing them to come to a complete
halt if possible. Sometimes I'd hear a faint, never intelligible yell from
someone behind me; I've never heard 1 bicyclist with enough sense to yell loud
enough to be heard over his noise, my boot noise, and the noise attenuation of a
frame backpack. When they came towards me, I'd always take my sweet time
stepping off the trail. Sometimes it was fun trying to get them to talk, when they
were pissed about being stopped, or nearly stopped.
    One guy did sort of crash his bike to avoid hitting me; he was pissed;
but I just said, "Hey, you were going way too fast for a blind hill; it's your
fault." He came over the top of a hill on a soft trail, and I never heard him
in time.
    This spring, when I'll have my first digital camera, I may take photos of
illegal bicyclists; if I do, I'll try to email the pics to the appropriate
agencies, knowing they probablywon't followup. I'll also make sure the bicyclist
sees me taking a picture of him and his license plate, if there is a plate.
I've taken 35mm slides of illegals on the AT, but never followed up.
    One guy on the AT threatened me; I took my pack off while we were jawing,
put my camera inside the pack, his license plate went onto my microcassette
(which he didn't see), pulled out my small pepper spray (which he didn't see &
which I only carry for 2-legged animals, ie hitchhiking), and played George W
Bush (before his time to be the first openly warmongering US President) by
saying, "Come on." I told him he'd have to hit me first, so the law would be on
my side; I've never hit anyone in my life, but I would have sprayed him as a
last resort. He never got off his motorcycle; and yes, I was somewhat uneasy;
fortunately he wasn't much larger than I am.
    Wayne Kraft, however did your hiking poles get into those spokes and
wheels? You must have slipped trying to get off the trail. Wow, I wish I used
poles, so I could slip like that!

Bob
Big Bend Desert Denizen
(Naturalized Citizen, Republic of Texas)