[pct-l] bicycles

I have yet to meet a Mountain Biker who participated in a trail work crew.
Just food for thought.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Moorehead <jeffmoorehead1@cox.net>
Sent: Dec 2, 2004 5:25 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] bicycles

Kraig,
 It's not just a single, thin tread of tire creating the erosion. You know
as well as I do that there is an awful lot braking and sliding on rapid
descents. That causes major erosion! And then there is just the attendant
lack of concern for this effect when you know it is happening but you want
to preserve your rights. I went mountain biking in the Lagunas one time and
felt pretty bad knowing how much erosion that one descent caused. Never
again in a semi-pristine area. I don't care if it is allowed, I won't do
it-- it scars the landscape. Land boarding, too. Don't get me started with
that...