[pct-l] Wet feet and blisters

Hi,

Most hikers at one time or another ford streams and rivers while wearing their hiking shoes. It would seem that doing would invite blisters.  Any advice on how to avoid blisters when your feet/shoes are constantly wet?

Thanks.

Leo.From kdpo at gottawalk.com  Thu Dec  2 10:59:33 2004
From: kdpo at gottawalk.com (Ken Powers)
Date: Thu Dec  2 11:08:24 2004
Subject: [pct-l] Wet feet and blisters

The part you are missing is that running shoes dry very fast. We have also
found that our feet generate a tremenous amount of heat when we are hiking.
This contibutes to the shoes drying fast. We only wear sock liners which
also dry fast. It seems that most of the moisture fon our feet is generated
from sweat.

In our experience of over 8000 hiking miles we had fewer blisters when
crossing frequent streams than in the heat of the deserts. We had quite a
few big blisters in the southern CA deserts. After wallowing in snow and
deep streams in the high sierra we found our feet as soft as babies skin and
without blisters. On an extremely wet AT trek I don't remember ever having a
blister. It wasn't what we expected.

Ken
www.GottaWalk.com