[pct-l] Wet feet and blisters

Leo asked,

>>> Most hikers at one time or another ford streams and rivers while wearing
their hiking shoes. It would seem that doing would invite blisters.  Any advice
on how to avoid blisters when your feet/shoes are constantly wet?

I have read all the posts on wet feet and the discussion on duct tape.
Please allow me to comment.

1.  Not all duct tape is created equal. Avoid the colors other than silver.
The threads help make the tape strong. Buy a good quality tape and wrap some
around a pencil or some similar item. Avoid wrapping it around a water
bottle or any other gear which will pull at the edges. The biggest problems
with duct tape is a) the adhesive that may bother some people's skin, and b)
the tape doesn't breathe and over several days this can play havoc with your
skin, and c) it doesn't shape well to your toes and heels. Carrying duct
tape is smart since it has so many uses. However I prefer Leukotape, a 1/1/2
medical tape which has good adhesive qualities, shapes fairly well, and
breathes. Also avoid the white athletic tape.

2. Socks can make a huge difference. Stick to moisture-wicking fabrics. Find
the sock combination that works for you--toe Injinji socks, wool, liner
socks, two socks, etc.

3.  If wearing running shoes, make two small nail holes in the shoes where
the upper joins the mid-sole. Either at the heel or mid-foot. This allows
water to drain out faster.

4.  Denise Jones of Badwater and I are close friends (if you are ever in
Lone Pine, look her and Ben up). He's an MD and might be able to help in an
emergency. She is great with feet. Anyway, she has found that in the heat of
Death Valley, duct tape doesn't work.

In short, wear good socks, have shoes that will drain, and watch your feet
carefully. Shoes that it well, with toe wiggle room and a secure heel, and
an arch that fits your feet, will also do wonders. Interestingly, some
people do well with wet feet, while others suffer.

John Vonhof
http://www.footworkpub.com
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes, 3rd edition
Subscribe to the free monthly ezine on foot care at my website