[pct-l] California Coastal Trail Experience?

Buy these books:

Hiking the California Coastal Trail Volumes one and two
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/093943119X

Volume 2 covers the coast from Oregon to Monterey and I found it useful
on my Lost Coast trip. If you want to see pictures of my Lost Coast
trip go here: http://www.abovecalifornia.com/pictures?mode=1&tripID=11
If you're not familiar with the Lost Coast it is about a 60 mile
section of coastline along northern Mendocino and southern Humboldt
counties in the King Range and Sinkyone Wilderness. It is said to be
the most remote coastline in California because it is so rugged. In
fact, it is so rugged that the engineers who built Highway 1 decided to
avoid this section of coast and went inland here.

Also, you will need tide tables for every section of coastline you
travel. The BLM has a map of the King Range you can buy that shows
which sections need to be hiked during low tide. Any similar maps you
can find for other sections would be quite useful. And I hesitate to
bring this, but I'm pretty sure that bear canisters are required in the
King Range and possibly other sections of the coast. The King Range Web
site ( http://www.ca.blm.gov/arcata/king_range.html ) has a lot of
broken links on it right now, but I'm pretty sure that its Bear Alert
page said that canisters are required.

Mark

-----
Have fun or die trying - but try not to actually die.
http://www.AboveCalifornia.com
Got Mac OS X? Get the AboveCalifornia Sherlock Channel:
sherlock://www.AboveCalifornia.com/sherlock/SherlockChannel.xml?
action=add