[pct-l] lightwight water purification on the PCT

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 10:51:46 -0800, Marshall Karon <m.karon@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Reminds me of my attempt to purify Oregon lake water with iodine
> tablets. I put the tablets in and waited 30 minutes. Only problem was
> that I also put in Vitamin C to get rid of the taste - at the same time
> I added the iodine, not realizing that I neutralized the iodine and
> rendered it worthless. ...
>
> ... filters don't always work, so carrying a little bottle of bleach
> seems like a good idea. ...

Just as adding Vitamin C to iodine can neutralize it, so can "bleached"
water
be harmful to some filters.  Some ceramic filters have silver imbedded in
them
to help control bacterial growth.  Filtering chlorinated water can
neutralize
the silver, rendering the ceramic core more subject to the growth of the
very
substances you're trying to filter OUT of the water.

--
Jeffrey Neil Zimmerman
Sonoma County, The Left Coast