[pct-l] lightwight water purification on the PCT

I used Aqua Mira (chlorine dioxide) on my thru hike.  The 5 minute waiting
period was kind of a pain but I would stop, fill up water, put the stuff in
the mixing cap, then walk for 5 minutes while it mixed (carrying the little
cap like a dork) and then throw it in my water.  In my opinion the 15-30
minute waiting period that you have with chemical treatment is no big deal
because you can just hike while you wait.  In So Cal we usually hung out at
the water sources during the heat of the day so I would treat large
quantities of water as I lied around.

I think a filter is probably safest but I think they're a pain to use and
they're heavy.

Iodine is very temperature depended so I don't think its good for use
against Giardia.  On my Polar Pure bottle it says the water must be above 68
for it to kill Giardia.  Most mountain water is much colder than that, but
probably doesn't have Giardia.  I used Polar Pure for a few weeks and didn't
like the taste and thought it was a pain to use so I went back to Aqua Mira.

The MSR Miox sounds like a good idea but I'd rather not depend on electronic
stuff.  The people I know who used one were always having problems with it.

Chlorine is a good idea but it forms THMs (Tri-halomethanes) when it comes
in contact with organic material (leaves, dirt, the stuff that's in water,
etc.).  THMs cause cancer but it seems like everything does these days so
maybe you don't care.  People may say, "Well they use chlorine to treat our
tap water".  Yes, but chlorinated water is always filtered first before
treating. This is the first thing we learned in our water treatment class
and its not folklore.  I wouldn't use chlorine for the length of a thru hike
but hike your own hike.

It seems like most of the water is safe to drink without treating.  Many
people hiked the whole trail, never treated, and never got sick.  I treated
maybe half the time and got sick twice.  But its hard to know where you get
sick from.  Maybe not even the water.

If I were to thru hike again, I would take Aqua Mira again (you need to mail
it to yourself because it hard to find on the trail and its illegal to sell
it in Cali.).  I would probably often drink the water without treating it.
I would probably get sick again too.

Steve