[pct-l] lightwight water purification on the PCT

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:49:02 -0800, Jeff Moorehead
<jeffmoorehead1@cox.net> wrote:

> I would be interested in hearing about solutions to water purification
> that don't involve boiling ...
>  1) Lightest method-- don't worry about it ...
>  2) Next lightest-- tablets or chlorine dioxide solutions. ...
>  3) Water filter bottles ...
>  4) MSR MIOX. ...
>  5) And then the long list of water filters ...

The very first place to start is by reading about the need for
purification:
there is such a need but it's a lot less than most people suppose.
The next of course is to realize that anecdotal evidence is not scientific
evidence, and is good only for campfire lies.

Essentially the Yosemite Association papers says all water is contaminated,
but that certain threshholds of contamination are necessary before
infection
results.  It goes on to say that much of the Sierra water supply contam-
ination is below measured levels in domestic tap water.

But that's for only for some of the more famous bugs.  There's always
e. coli to mess things up.  However, even here the article suggests that
simple domestic hygiene (washing one's hands, particularly after
elimination)
is the best preventative.

I've met people who treated everything with Polar Pure iodine solution.
thryoid a quick thrill.  Bounces right off one of the protozoans
(Cryptosporidium parvum, fortunately rare, as I hear).
There's always the ascorbic acid after-treatment which apparently
precipitates
out the remaining free iodine.  All drinks are lemonade.

Most people I've met filtered most of the time but used squeeze bottles
some
of the time.  Filtering clean water into a dirty bottle poses a logical
problem,
at least in my mind.  My observations of the Katadyn Pocket Filter match
yours,
reliable, effective, durable, and weighty.  Doesn't purify the container.

Me, I've used the Aqua Mira dual solution when I had doubts about the
water,
about a third of the time.  BTW the Miox chemistry is also chlorine
dioxide,
just delivered in a different manner -- or at least so I hear.  The cost
of the
Miox unit itself buys a lot of Aqua Mira.  I find that Aqua Mira is
difficult to buy in California (out of state sources deliver it readily,
though),
apparently due to unfinished acceptance by state health authorities.
You'll
notice how particularly modest and vague vague are the performance claims
on
the manufacturer's web site:  <URL:
http://www.mcnett.com/page.cfm?pageID=947 >

"Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances!"

--
Jeffrey Neil Zimmerman
Sonoma County, The Left Coast