[pct-l] affording a thru-hike

Thru-hike as prelude, or even catalyst, to lifestyle change seems to be a
recurring theme.  It certainly is for me.  I attempted a thru-hike in 1982.
On that trip, I decided that I didn't want to go back to being an oil field
roughneck for the rest of my life.  I made plans to attend college when I
got off of the trail.  I eventually got my masters in mechanical
engineering.  Life on the trail taught me the importance of living each day.
So I turned down higher job offers and went to work for a small eight person
company where there was a lot of camaraderie and new exciting projects.  We
now employ close to 200 people.  The excitement of school and an interesting
job has kept me interested, but has kept me from the "unfinished business"
of completing the pct.

Well, after ten years, the job satisfaction is wearing off.  Working for a
200 person company is not the same as working for an eight person company.
The spontaneity is gone, forms and schedules are here.  Thoughts of a
thru-hike started creeping in several years ago.  2002 was going to be my
"twenty years later hike".  That didn't happen; big new contract.  Nor 2003.
2004 was going to be my "twice as old hike".  That didn't happen either.
These false starts taught me that no matter how much you like your job, it
still owns your time.  The trick is to be self employed or have a job, not a
career.  I have decided that 2006 is the year.  Next spring, one year before
my start date, I am going to break the news to my boss.  I am going to
present it as a fact: I am going.  He can treat it as a leave of absence or
a resignation. If he says, "so long", I can find another job when I get
back.  Or better yet, I can turn a side business into my primary job (7
months out of the year of course).  But he will probably let me take a leave
of absence.  He is a good guy.  When I return, I will probably work for
someone who currently works for me.  That is OK.  I have been his mentor and
he is also a good person.  I will earn 7/12th of what I do now since I plan
to make the arrangement permanent. Five months off every summer.  You just
have to decide what is important to you. Then, how you afford a thru-hike is
clear.  If it is your dream, how can you afford not to do it?

See you on the trail in 2006,
Tom