[pct-l] affording a thru-hike

Interesting points all..

Chris and Bob esp. bring up some good points. It does
not have to be an and/or proposition.

Part of the conundrum I am going through is that I
actually love where I live, love the community of
friends who are more like family to me, enjoy my work
environment  and don't know how many more times I want
to start over again after being away for 6 mos.

Living in Boulder the mountains are my backyard.
(Almost a literal statement!). Unlike say my homestate
of Rhode Island, don't feel trapped and need to get
away. I am living in a place where I want to be!

Still, I love to be out on the long journeys. But,
does it have to be 5 mos at a time? Would "only" a
month or two at a time be enough?

Have been toying with the idea of going back to school
at some point; it started off as a mere thought two
years ago...suspect it will be reality by this time
next year (for the Spring 2006 semester). My first
love  was and still is history. Would not be surprised
if I too went into teaching (though probably not at
the university level). I enjoy instructing, enjoy
history and time is more valuable to me than money. It
may be the nice compromise between wanderlust and
wanting stability in my life.

I never thought of turning 30 as a big deal..but it
did make me think. How long do I want to continue this
work hard/play hard..start over again?
I actually like my life here..do I want to leave it
every 1.5 yrs? Gotta love these milestone birthdays.
:D

Was at a birthday dinner this past Friday. As I was
with my dozen friends thought how good life is right
now. On an even more personal note my girlfriend and I
have gotten back together. After much communication
and talking it turns out, by golly, we care about each
other too much to not attempt to work things out. For
her part, she did a large road trip (in the national
parks..she proudly sent me a picture of her on the
PCT!) this summer and is open to new adventures. For
my part, well, if you can't tell, seem to be trying to
work out a compromise between wanderlust and
stability.
Ah..decisions.....

Sorry for the long and somewhat personal post..but the
discussion mirrored my own conflicting thoughts.
That's the beauty of these hiking boards; being able
to talk to people who share some of your own thoughts
and ideas that other people in your life may not be
able to discuss.

=====
--Thoreau
http://www.magnanti.com