[pct-l] Pocket Mail

John Cyole wrote...,

"Do any of you use a portable word processing keyboard on your hikes? I remember an article from one of my photography magazines in which the late outdoor photographer/writer Galen Rowell praised a word processing device called an AlphaSmart (http://www1.alphasmart.com) that he took backpacking with him to help write his articles for National Geographic.  They have a full sized keyboard, are relatively heavy (2lbs.), but very rugged, I was wondering if any hikers from this list, especially thru-hikers, take along an AlphaSmart or something similar to write your hiking journals or if you just write freehand in a notebook."

I don't know about the AlphaSmart. I used the PocketMail device and was pleased with it. PocketMail weighed about 8 ounces and it uses 2 AA batteries that would last 2 or 3 weeks (with two people using the same device). I emailed the journal entries to my transcriber who only had to copy and paste the entry into Trailjournals. I was pleased (as was my transcriber) that there wasn't any copying of a handwritten journal or transcribing a verbal entry. I put the PocketMail into a water proof bag with foam inside the bag to protect the electronics. I think it cost about $100 plus the $120 for the year of proprietary service (to translate the audio - fax-like-tones to email text). There was no maximum use with surcharges after X number of minutes. The keyboard is small but useable for a 10 fingered typist. I saw a number of other thru-hikers using the PocketMail and didn't hear of complaints. Buzz