[pct-l] Missed Scott's arrival at the So Terminus, but I had a good excuse...

I Missed Scott's arrival at the Southern Terminus because I was
re-filling and lunching at Chihuahua Rd. water cache at 2pm Saturday...

Started from the Warner Springs Fire Station Saturday morning at 5:45am
after being dropped off by Eric Yakel. Eric met me at Highway 74 at 4:45
so I could park my truck and we both headed to Warner. Erik started at
the north crossing and I started at the Fire Station (where I left off
last time). Before he left, he said to me: "You'll probably catch up to
me soon...see you at Lost Spring!". I didn't see him until around 4pm
after he had already made the ridge at Combs Peak. Saturday was a
wonderful walk. Not too steep of a climb and very picturesque. Water is
everywhere between the 79 and Combs. Not only are all the usual places
flowing, but many little springs are trickling across the trail. The
trees are turning color and the bottoms of the ravines are ablaze in
yellow leaves. I hiked an average of 2.5 mph (my target pace), but I
just HAD to stop and enjoy the views back into Warner and out to Boden
Field. The day was overcast, hinting at rain. Though the individual
clouds looked heavy enough, they just couldn't seem to organize
themselves into a shower. I got spit on a couple times, but that was
just refreshing as I ticked off the first 20 miles.
Met up with Eric just below (and south) of the ridge at Combs. For the
last 5 miles before that, I had entered the burn zone. Lots of blow
downs blocked the trail starting from just above Lost Spring and the
landscape got real ugly, particularly during the climb to Combs. When we
got to the ridge in fading sunlight, Eric and I decided to keep going
because I had heard of better campsites further down the trail (besides,
Combs was only about 19 miles. I wanted to at least do half the miles
before I set my pack down). We found a nice spot at about the 21.5 mile
point and while we were setting up camp, we saw Caitlin and her friend
coming over a low rise SOBO. We exchanged pleasantries as they wanted to
make it to Combs for the night.

The evening was clear and cold. Lots of stars to enjoy my oilcan with!
The night was restful outside the occasional gust of wind that rattled
the tent I borrowed...

Erik woke me around 6am and I was packed up to get going rather quickly.
Unfortunately, Eric's feet weren't cooperating and since he was only 8
miles from home, he had to make a tough decision to head back. So I was
solo again!

>From the foot of Combs to roughly Tule Spring, the trail was a steady
loss of elevation (just right for warming up my stiff muscles!), but
from Tule Spring on, the trail seemed to grind on in a monotonous climb
(seems the PCT takes pains to hit all the high spots!) up every hill,
then drop into each and every ravine. The miles blurred together as each
rock, bush and cacti looked EXACTLY like the one a mile ago...

In contrast to the day before, where water peeked around each tumble of
rocks, the trail on the north side of Combs was dry as a bone! I didn't
hike down into Tule, as I packed enough water to last till the 74. I
didn't see where the Hiker's Oasis Cache was (maybe it was taken down
for the season?). But unlike the San Felipes, the trail runs past
several houses. In an emergency, I'd imagine you could get water along
the outskirts of Anza ("outskirts of Anza", now THAT'S funny!).

I made Table Mountain Truck Trail by 3pm, and I was making my way up and
across Lookout Mountain as the sun set. I was walking in twilight as I
reached the ridge and saw the 74 below me.

43 miles in two days. Averaged 2.5 mph moving and about a 2 mph total
average, taking into account lunch and rest stops. Bye-Bye Borrego! (and
good riddance...)
Next stop: Idyllwild!

-Oilcan