[pct-l] cache 22

Hey Judson,

I don't remember the date I was there in 2003, but there was plenty of
water at Cache 22, thanks to the family of a 2002 hiker.  I took off
very early in the morning from Subway cave and was dry by the time I
got there. I ended up not taking enough water - it was well over 100
degress that day, and I stopped sweating by the time I got to the
water pipe and spring near the PG&E plant.

BTW, there was a hole in the water pipe that feeds into the lake
there, and I drank from that no knowing that about 40 yard further
there was a lovely spring. Of course at that point I would have
readily choked down yak urine.  I think that was about 30 miles total
Subway - PG&E and another 4 miles to the highway, but I am sure you
have a databook and can check that.

I certainly had an "oh shit" moment when I realized I should have
taken more water and then was nauseated after drinking at the spring.
I made my way to the highway and hitched into town for a night of air
conditioning and re-hydration which took all night an a good share of
the morning. I finally caught up with F-troop at Burney falls that
afternoon.

BTW the hitch into Burney took quite a while, it's a busy highway and
lots of people passed on by before I got a ride.

I don't like to carry extra weight, but Hat Creek Rim is a place I
would carry more water than normal, just to be sure.  But that is just
me.

All that being said, I drank more water than most hikers I was with
except Teatree who drank as much as me. The most I remember drinking
was 14L in one day when crossing the Mojave and I know a few hikers
that only drank 2-3L in the same span.

YMMV
HYOH,

The One