[pct-l] backpacking socks

Cindy wrote:

>> I'm looking for a good trail sock. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Others added:
> I really like Wright Socks. They are double socks with both layers being
coolmax, or the inner sock being coolmax and the outer layer being wool. They
are lowest bulk way to get two layers of sock that I have found. In cold weather
I switch to SmartWool socks with staticX liners. Socks are cheap enough that you
should try a number of different socks.
And
> Remember to try the socks with the shoes your wear - or get the socks first
and then the shoes. The shoes need to be big enough. And on the PCT, you need to
change socks and wash socks often to keep the dirt off and prevent holes.

Really good advice. Wrightsocks are great and so are Smartwool, Dahlgren,
Wigwam, Bridgeport and Thorlo. Socks have changed quite a bit and I'd only
buy pairs that have a blend of fabrics, like wool, lycra, and Coolmax. Many
have an inner layer of fabric, Coolmax, woven to an outer layer of Merino
wool. Some have mesh for breathability and additional moisture control, plus
areas of additional cushioning.

Check the toes for seams that can irritate, and make sure they fit well
without being too tight. Shoving your feet into a pair of socks, and then
sliding your feet into boots can stretch the socks even tighter on the toes.
Of the socks mentioned above, I favor Bridgeport, Wigwam, Smartwool and
Dahlgren in no particular order.

John Vonhof
http://www.footworkpub.com
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes, 3rd edition
Subscribe to the free monthly ezine on foot care at my website