[pct-l] Bear spray

Yrs ago I was kayaking in Glacier Bay area of Alaska with a friend.  Someone
who was leaving on a plane sold me a small fire extingisher canister sized
can of "bear spray" telling us we may need it in the wilds.  Alas, later
that night in the local (heavily used) campground there was snuffling around
the camp.  We were in a two person light wt tent and the other gal was sound
asleep when I felt a bump and snuffle on the tent wall next to my arm -
yikes!  *Ive lived in Canadian and Montana rockies and am familiar griz and
black bears.  So, I ever so quietly reach for the can of "bear spray" and
procede to poke my friend in the eyes instead.  After I did that a second
time I gave up and the bear went away.  It did tear up someones "margarine"
bowl in the next camp.  Thinking that I could have awakened my hiking
partner causing her to scream and gassed us both (entertaining the bear)-
the bear seemed the lesser of the two evils.  I keep it for burglars now.
Anyone that I have know that has had a bear encounter has never had a gun or
can handy when needed.  -susan in seattle