[pct-l] trail magic

We got big  trail magic from a really unexpected source.  As a general
rule, pack stations aren't friendly to llama packers.  Our critters can
be a nuisance when skittish horses encounter us on the trail.  But the
Cedar Grove Pack Station was an amazing exception to this rule.
We were doing a month long trip in Sequoia-kings Canyon, using the PCT
between New Army Pass and Palisade junction as part of a loop that
crossed 14 passes.  We hiked into Cedar Grove to pick up a resupply one
afternoon.  We had hiked 14 miles that day, and the last 5 were from
Roadend to Cedar Grove (flat, but 95 degrees).  We picked up our supply,
then had to spend the night at the "stock camp" next to the pack station
corrals.  The pack station guys gave us free beer, access to their water
and sinks, and free fuel to fill our bottles (we couldn't find anyone
selling white gas).  In the morning they loaded our llamas into their
trailer and drove us back to Roadend so we could continue our hike.
They wouldn't take our money for giving us the ride.  It was such an
amazing experience of trail magic.  It would have been a really tough
hiking day for us if we had had to hike that five miles of flat in the
morning, then climb the 4000' gain to Granite Pass in the heat of the
afternoon.  Instead we were over the pass before lunch, thanks to them.
Marion Davison