[pct-l] Digital Pictures Question

shane - first off, the quality settings differ from camera to camera.
For example, the SHQ setting on a 11mp camera might yield a maximum
resolution of 4064 x 2704 pixels, whereas a 2MP camera my have a SHQ
setting that only yields a maximun resolution of 1600 x 1200 pixels.

Usually, the main difference between the quality settings on a camera
will be how large the resolution is.  Most cameras capable of taking
higher resolution photos (the cameras with more megapixels) also have
lower quality settings to allow the user to store a larger quantity of
photos on the storage media.  If you end up buying a 6MP camera and
only use the 1600 x 1200 setting, then you should save the money and
buy a 2mp camera instead because what you are doing when you reduce the
quality setting is really reducing the image from 6mp to a 2mp.

In addition to the resolution setting, most cameras today also have a
sub-setting within each resolution that is usually a compression
setting.  For example, my camera (Olympus Camedia Zoom), has two or
three compression settings for each resolution.  So there is three sub-
settings for 1600 x 1200, each having a slightly lower degree of
quality, but all have the same resolution.  The compression usually is
a mathmatical formula that the camera uses to merge slightly different
colors into the same color, thus reducing the need to store multiple
colors.  Most images that can be compressed in this fashion are stored
in the JPEG format.  Most cameras also have a format setting that
allows you to save the image in different formats, which can also
affect the image size.  The JPEG format is definitely the most popular
and the most compressable.  Another very high quality format that most
cameras care capable of storing is the TIFF format, which is usually
reserved for the highest possible quality setting.  All other things
being equal, a TIFF image at the same resolution as a JPEG image will
be a much higher quality image, but it will also be a significantly
larger file, thus allowing fewer to be stored on the same storage
medium.

Having said all of that, you really need to decide what you want to do
with the camera.  If the only thing that you want to do is to post your
pics on a website, then a 0.9mp camera will do just fine because
computer monitors can only display images at 72 DPI (dots per inch).
No matter now kick-ass your camera is, almost all monitors/displays
will only be able to present the photo at 72 DPI.  If you want prints,
then you really need to decide how large you need the prints to be.  If
you only want 3x5 prints, then a 2MP camera will likely be just fine.
If you want 4x6 prints, then you may want to go with a 3mp.  If you
want 8x10's then you might want to go with a 5mp.  All of these can be
printed just fine using the camera's higher quality settings in the
JPEG format (unless you are REALLY picky).  You may not even need the
highest quality setting, as somtimes the only thing that separates the
highest setting from the 2nd highest is that the highest setting stores
in TIFF format and the 2nd highest stores at the same resolution but in
JPEG format, which is a slightly smaller file size and impreceptably
lower quality for 4x6 or even 8x10 prints in most cases.

So to answer your question about which setting to use, you really have
to play with the settings on your camera and make some prints and find
out what setting wokrs bets for your needs (which is why they offer so
many settings for every camera).  For my Olympus Camedia, I use the
highest resolution with the 2nd or 3rd quality setting (ie: using some
jpeg compression).  If you want to see examples, you can check out my
site: www.dudedesign.com

Also, a site was INCREDIBLE resources and info about all of this is
www.dpreview.com.  There is  so much info on that site, you won't even
know what to do with it all.

Lastly, try to go to a local camera shop that specializes in personal
service instead of Office Max or Best Buy.  The chain stores will give
you a better price, but the smaller stores will take the time to help
you get the camera that you will be happy with (and have people that
know what they are talking about).  In addition, many smaller stores
will do things like make prints for you using the camera at the setting
you are curious about so that you can actually *see* with your own two
eyes what the print will look like.

sorry for the regurgitation of techno-babble.  Hope it helps.

peace
dude