[pct-l] Re: Ice Axe Experience question

As with so many things, the use of ice axe and crampons may be a personal
matter - and one of conditions. Unless you are a mountaineer, an ice axe is
sufficient. My guess is that most folks advocating the use of ice axes
really know how to use them and love to get out on the ice and in early
season.

In a low snow year (seems to be a lot of those lately), you probably will
need nothing if you trek during the normal thru-hiker season and you don't
get onto the snow/ice until it has softened a bit. If you don't know how to
use crampons or ice axe, you could do yourself real harm. The ice axe's main
use is to prevent you from falling/slipping - not to stop you once you start
slipping. Trekking poles aren't strong enough, but in a low year may do just
fine, especially if shortened.

Unfortunately, no one knows what the conditions are going to be like next
year. So, to be safe, carry the ice axe from Kennedy Meadows.

Note: the worst section I ever encountered was not in the High Sierras - it
was in the Goat Rocks. But, I still wouldn't carry an ice axe there - but,
if someone could have delivered it before going across the 200 feet of ice
and picked it up once I finished, I would have gladly used it. In the High
Sierras, my axe road on my pack and was used only for a couple of stream
crossings. Should have left it home.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR
m.karon@comcast.net