[pct-l] Re: Ice Axe Experience question

Joe (and everyone):

I thought that ice axes and crampons complement each other so it was not an either or question.

I read the first post about the Kahtoola carmpons and I went to their web site. I liked what I saw so I bought a pair (19 oz).

I also bought an ice axe. After a lot of research, I settled on a Camp XLA 210. It is very lightweight, about 10 oz and should be sufficient forr my needs. I don't intend to do a lot of snow or ice climbing, so do not need a more expensive or heavier, axe.

The total weight of the ice axe and crampons is 29 oz, so it is not adding too much weight to my pack.

So, am I right in my belief that you should take both an ice axe and crampons through the Sierras, or is that overkill?

Thanks for your comments!

Amblin' Man
PCT 2006