[pct-l] Boots

The gist of Eric's email is exactly right: HYOH.

However, people have been wearing running shoes on the PCT for over a
decade now and people have been cutting the handle off and drilling
holes in toothbrushes and spoons for 30 years.  ...even when they were
wearing full-grain leather heavy boots with a steel shank in the sole.
The main think that has changed is that 30 years ago, people drilled
holes in their toothbrushes in order to get their weight down to 45
lbs.  Today, with all the new materials and technology, people can get
their pack weight down to 10lbs and THAT is what allows people to wear
running shoes.  If your pack is only 10-20 lbs, then you do not need to
support of a heavy boot.  But if you still prefer boots, that's cool
too.  The main thing is that YOU do what makes YOU happy.