[pct-l] Boots

Don't get me wrong; I wont carry more than I need, and have made
several gear changes to save weight. I would never argue carrying an
ounce more than you need to, and to question every ounce you carry, as
you will be carrying it. For me, I don't mind carrying a little excess
weight for comfort. The sleeping matress I carry is nearly 2 pounds,
which I think many on this list would scoff at, but I have gone nights
were the ground was too cold, or I was too unfcomfortable, and was
unable to get a good night's rest. I would rather double my pack
weight than hike a long day on barely a couple hours of rest with a
light pack.

I just think that there isn't a formula to having fun while
backpacking. There are some general guidelines, advanced by the
experiences of many, which are certainly worth considering. But I like
my boots, and enjoy 2" of self inflating comfort. If people want to
wear five pound boots, or haul a circus tent around, and they are
aware of the pros and cons associated with that, so be it, and god
bless them.

Even in the "let's shave holes in our toothbrush handle" environment,
you are making trade offs. I just feel bad for people who might come
onto this list only to be made to feel like they have some sort of
weird problem because they wear... heaven forbid... boots while
hiking.