[pct-l] Repair kit for bears and cousins

Mtnned writes:

"You know, Greg, I'm beginning to think that this current generation hasn't a
clue . . ."

Ned, sometimes the incredible confidence that a thru-hike instills into us
makes some (and I am the first to find myself guilty of this on occasion!) think
that they know the only way or the conditions that they found are certainly
the norm.  Such perspectives have encouraged some hikers to consider hiking
through the Sierra early in the thru-hiking season with running shoes or trail
running shoes, regardless of the amount of snow that happened to have fallen in
that year, simply because "well, I did it last year and there wasn't any
problem".  Others have recommended carrying only a tarp for the entire trip because
they didn't happen to run into any late Spring snow storms in the Sierra nor
get 5 or more days of constant rain in the Pacific Northwest, justifying as
one lister recently did, when it seriously rains the best place to be is in a
motel room.

But, dealing with a bit of mother nature at her best is certainly part of the
adventure of the trail, and I'm pretty sure that no PCT hiker has ever died
from an encounter with a bear and I'm pretty certain that no PCT hiker has ever
died from exposure (without other serious complications, of course, like a
fall or breaking a limb accidentally).

I almost became the first casualty on the PCT when a late Spring snow storm
dumped 4 and a half feet of snow on me near Monache Meadows and sealed my tent
one night.  My full bladder woke me up to find my fingernails blue and the air
so lacking oxygen in the tent that a dry match would not light!

Almost every past thru-hiker will tell you; "Be a good boy or girl scout out
there and be prepared and be flexilble". Any good hiking strategy must
consider what to do under the full spectrum of possible weather, insect, and
accidental circumstances, and, even the coincidence of more than one of these at one
time.  Often the worst scenario involves more than a single problem facing you
at one time.  You may be very tired from a long day when the temperature
plummets and snow begins to fall and your decision making ability is compromised by
this.

The PCT is not often a dangerous place.  However, when several (supposedly
experienced) people slip and fall to their deaths on Mt. Baldy this past Winter,
things can and do happen that put you in harms way.   Your hiking strategy
and your having thought through these possible scenarios and thus the
decision-making you make under the stress of the situation will go a long way towards
how you fare.

HYOH, IMHO, and not meaning to begin any heated discussions,

Greg