[pct-l] Repair kit for backpack ravaged by a bear?

I had an old external frame pack nearly divided in two vertically by a bear
in Little Yosemite Valley once.  It took all of my strength (not much at that
time!) to bend the frame back to near straight and then I took some heavy guage
nylon thread and needle and just hand stitched the pack cloth back together
so that it would carry my clothes and cooking items.  In this situation your
pack doesn't have to be really repaired in fine fashion for long distances as,
if the bear gets it then it is likely to be pretty well damaged and not worth
salvaging for anything other than getting you out or onward with the current
trip.

IMHO,

Greg Hummel

In a message dated 9/9/2004 12:21:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,