[pct-l] bivy sack

i concur with all previous comments on bivy sacks, but i want to mention one
major advantage of bivy sacks...

they can be very useful for spending the night above tree line in exposed
conditions with high winds.  you can stash all your gear in your pack in a
trash bag and then crawl into your bivy in your bag and spend the night free
from wind and any sudden weather that might blow in above tree line.

i know i would have liked to have a bivy sunday morning up on the chin at
3am when a cloud blew in and my down bag began getting wet.  thankfully it
didn't really rain and i didn't have to retreat to the taft lodge at 3am.  i
was also thankful that the sun came out the next day on madonna peak and i
was able to restore the loft my bag lost.  i was lucky.  i was counting on
good weather on sunday as forecasted.

of course, if you don't sleep on the top of mountains, and you're out west
where the weather is more consistent than it is on the LT in VT, you might
not find any use for this advantage of a bivy sack.

but a bivy would have come in handy at 3am last sunday.

$0.02,
d-low