Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 00:00:59 -0700
From: Marion Davison <mardav@charter.net>
Subject: [pct-l] HIking south from Sonora Pass
To: PCT List <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>

I was at Lassen yesterday and was dismayed to see so much patchy snow
above 8000 feet.
I am planning to hike south from Sonora Pass into Emigrant Wilderness in
a couple of days.  I read in the PCT guide that the first ten miles
south of Sonora is very exposed and dangerous in snow.  I can't give my
llamas ice axes or crampons.
Does anyone know if there is snow on the PCT between Dorothy Lake Pass
and Sonora Pass?
If yes then my alternative would be to enter at either Leavitt Lake or
Leavitt Meadow.
Also, I will be driving up the east side.  Can I get a permit for these
entry points from the ranger in Bridgeport?
Marion