[pct-l] A D A)

There are several facits to this issue.

1.  Granted property owners or such initially icnur the cost for
wheelchair accesibility as well as all other types of accesibility. Some
accomodations may be no more expensive than conventional items such as
lever door handles instead of door knobs. At the other extreme is what I
observed when I lived in Oakland -- an elevator was added on to enable
wheelchair (and other) access to the second floor of a small new office
building. But keep in mind that generally any increased building costs
are passed through to the buildings tennants and then may spread out
into a small increase in the prices of all kinds of goods and services.

2.  Some requirements are patently ridiculous such as handicapped
accesible outhouses along hiking trails with no roads nearby. Or the
requiring of elevator access to the mezzanine level of a restaurant even
though there are plenty of tables on the main floor.
But 30 or so years ago I led a car camping trip for a Sierra Singles
group and I had a wheelchair-bound woman and her assisting friend come
on the trip.

3.  Of course there is an under lying question of what access is
provided to whom and by whom.

I volunteer in our local visitor center and I was amazed when a young
women in a wheelchair came in and said she was gathering information for
the third grade class she teaches. Initially I was amazed but then I am
glad that we do allow people confined to a wheelchair to get out and be
productive and contribute to all of us rather than being confined to
some small area.

Finally, there but for fate or chance or the grace of god go I. While
life isn't fair we can lessen the inequalities.

John