[pct-l] Killed by a bear,,,

I've always heard that there has never been a human fatality from a bear
in Yosemite ... And this news article seems to confirm that:

http://www.yosemite.org/newsroom/clips2001/June/061501.html

[If you scroll down toward the end, you'll see a paragraph that states:
"There have been no deaths caused by black bears at Yosemite, and
officials want to keep it that way."]

Nevertheless, I appreciate the viewpoints expressed thus far, and I
think I fall somewhere in between ... As a thru-hiker, I was an
optimist, and relied on conscientious stealth-camping -- not cooking or
eating or brushing my teeth where I sleep -- yet I am also a realist, so
I've always hung my food when I was near places that I figured bears
might frequent. (Before anyone points out the flawed assumption there,
let me admit that it was little more than hunches and guesswork without
any kind of scientific reasoning).

Still, this conversation has got me thinking about canisters, and I'm
leaning toward trying one out this September when I head back up to
Yosemite for a week or so.

Thanks,

Doug