[pct-l] fly fishing - off topic

Hi Eckert,

> I have acquired a fly rod (7/8) and intend to try to catch some goldens
> up in the Cottonwood Basin lakes.

I've tried going the route using fly fishing rods for catching trout. My
intention was on catching fish, somewhat less on practicing fly fishing.
Trying it disappointed me quite a bit. There are much easier methods (for
the beginners).

A 7/8 rod is about the right size for catching Salmon. The biggest fish I
have seen in the Sierra where 18 inch golden trout. Even they would not
need a larger rod than 5! Some people like a 3 size for the tiny stream
trout, I used a 4 size rod (Cabelas stowaway 5 piece) last year an it
seemed right.

> - does it matter what size rod I use, as long as I match the line to the
> rod? (ignoring such issues as pole weight).  Does a #7 rod throw a #7
> line a greater distance than a #3?

Rods are matched to the line sizes. If you want to fish in the streams
(short distance) you want a line that is heavier on the tip, because you
can't get enough line out otherwise before tangling it on the trees.
Not too intuitive.

> - I come from a history of "throwing iron".  If I stick with a 1/16oz
> lure (or less), snip off two of the three hooks and crush the barb on
> the third, do you suppose I can make it function in the water as it was
> designed?

I don't think you want to put any lures on a fly fishing rod.

> - for giggles, I took the old beater line off the fly rod, and threaded
> it through the eyelets of an old baitcasting pole I had.  I was able to
> send the line it's full length with that pole.  does the length of the
> fly rod serve any purpose other than making the cast easier?

Actually, this is how I want to fish this fall: using a 10ft panfish pole
and attach a flyfishing leader. The leader is tapered, making casting a 16
sized fly easy. The whole setup is costs less than 10 bucks and covers any
stream that I encounter. (Get polarized sun glasses too and hide from the
trout. It is like hunting: you should see them, but they should not get
spooked by you. Now put the fly in front of their nose, wiggle a bit and
see how they go for it. Once they dive down again hook them and repeat.
http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~ilja/img/HighSierra2003/img/pic12x9_34.jpg )

I didn't have luck with fishing in lakes. A friend of mine went to Mineral
King a few weekend ago and used a hand line (attached one of these clear,
water filled balls and a fly). He never tried catching fish before and got
really bored: the first day he caught 4 trout and the next about 20 (catch
and release after the limit). I guess he got lucky. He also said he casted
only between 6ft and 18ft. This distance could easily be covered with a
short pole.

So, get some 14-18 size flies (10 are more than enough, pick the ones that
look like mosquitos ;-)), some 2-4lb test line and an 8-10 ft panfish
pole. Not as "noble" as flyfishing, but you will have more fun.

Ilja.