[pct-l] fly fishing - off topic

please reply off list if you choose to reply...

I have acquired a fly rod (7/8) and intend to try to catch some goldens
up in the Cottonwood Basin lakes.  I did a bit of net surfing, and am
still unclear as to the numbering system of rods, lines, and tippets.

- does it matter what size rod I use, as long as I match the line to the
rod? (ignoring such issues as pole weight).  Does a #7 rod throw a #7
line a greater distance than a #3?

- if I purchase a #6 tippet, how much of the fly end of the 7-9 feet is
the same diameter?  How many flies can I snip off and still have a
functional tippet?

- I come from a history of "throwing iron".  If I stick with a 1/16oz
lure (or less), snip off two of the three hooks and crush the barb on
the third, do you suppose I can make it function in the water as it was
designed?

- for giggles, I took the old beater line off the fly rod, and threaded
it through the eyelets of an old baitcasting pole I had.  I was able to
send the line it's full length with that pole.  does the length of the
fly rod serve any purpose other than making the cast easier?

TIA

Eckert
jape@nethere.com