[pct-l] Injection molding - Bear cans

Depending on the complexity of the part (number of cavities, surfaces,
size, etc.) injection molds appear to cost anywhere from $2,000 to
$250,000.
http://members.aol.com/skibelt/pricing.htm

also, the mold materiel itself can affect the costs.

A simple can should cost near the minimal end of the range.

The actual creation of the mold, as well as the injection/production of
the final product is outsourced to a company that does this stuff for
many other product "manufacturers" (usually pieces are sent elsewhere
for assembly).

When my father started his desk-top water bottle biz, his costs for the
labeling of the cardboard boxes used to ship these in were almost as
much as the bottle's unit cost itself! As to quantity, my father rented
a very small shop space (around 1000 s.f.) in an obscure commercial park
to center his marketing, shipping and storage from.
He used his Ford F-150 to make his shipments. When the biz wound down,
he elft his shop and stored his inventory in two large storage rental
spaces. He marketed to supermarkets, specialty "water stores" and even
swap meets. Yes, it was a small operation, but it netted him some
serious $$$. My point is: If he could do it "on the cheap", anyone
could. Remember, he was retired and simply saw an opportunity and
invested minimal time and money into it.

As to engineering and testing, what's to engineer? The material
(polycarb) is already proven to be a viable material. Testing is simply
submission to the SIBBG.

Anyway, I've e-mailed Nalgene to suggest they take a look at this. I'm
not advocating any of use to start up a business like this. I just think
the $75 cost is exorbitant and that an outfit like Nalgene, who has the
wherewithal to market a competitive bear can, could lower the end-user
cost. There are plenty of other companies like Nalgene that could pull
this off as well.

Am I the only one here who thinks Garcia and Bear Vault are gouging us
because we're required to carry cans???

M i c h a e l   S a e n z
McLarand Vasquez Emsiek & Partners, Inc.
A r c h i t e c t u r e    P l a n n i n g    I n t e r i o r s
w  w  w  .  m  v  e  -  a  r  c  h  i  t  e  c  t  s  .  c  o  m