[pct-l] Thru-Hikers and cans (was Scary bear story&nothangingfood)

Hi there,

> As far as bear cans and the ultralight philosophy and inherent smaller
> capacity packs - there's a real conflict.

Tell me about it! I have bought a BearVault. I usually carry a GoLite
Breeze. It does fit, but except for my clothes and my sleeping bag,
nothing else does! I hike with a partner, so by sharing (I take the more
weighty compact items and he takes the bulkier lighter items) we can fit
everything into our bags.

The fit is tight, and I am not sure that it will be nice to carry the can
in my pack. Anybody have any experience carrying a bear can in a GoLite
Breeze?

Any suggestions about what I could do to make my life better on trail?
Should I spend even more on a bigger pack?

Saskia