[pct-l] Scary bear story & not hanging food

Hi,

I say right from the start that I'm scared of bears.

My third rule for happy, safe backpacking is "Don't sleep on your food."  Whoever habituates the bears to human food, we know some of them get habituated.  While "stealth" implies covert and undetectable behavior, bears aren't necessarily playing the same game.  They have much better noses than rangers or ill intentioned, would-be human assailants.  I think "stealth" also implies some degree of forethought and intelligence - or at least some cleverness - which seems to be lacking here.  Maybe it's just me, but I see Darwin Award potential in this.  Obviously, we don't have any qualifiers for it yet, but if something bad happens in this situation, the deceased would have the award hands down.

All offered IMHO.

Jon