[pct-l] "ultralight water cache dependant route"

I, too, agree with Steve and Marge.

Ultra-light means more, not less, responsibility for one's own welfare.
Water caches are there for shortages and emergencies. They are not meant to
be dependable, free supply stations along the route.

Each of us is responsible for estimating and carrying enough food, water,
and other supplies to get from one supply point to the next. The trail
angels who labor to maintain these caches do so in an effort to protect
lives and to cover our butts in case we under-estimate our needs or the
regular water sources are unexpectedly dry. Remember, those jugs weigh 8.3
pounds per gallon and have to be hauled to most caches on the backs of the
trail angel or their horses. Oh yes, that trail angel also pays for the
water, the gas to get his or her vehicle closeby, and takes time from their
life to provide this service. Did I mention that they don't charge for that?

In 2002, there was a wacko who kept destroying the cache that Amigo and his
family so carefully tended out on the Hat Creek Rim. We sat around at Old
Station and decided that the trail Gods should arrange to have him caught in
the act by 6 thirsty through-hikers. Why bother the local Sheriff? I can
still remember pulling into one cache in section F only to find it as empty
as my own water bottles. By carefully emptying the residue from a dozen
2-1/2 gallon carboys, my partner and I were able to recover one liter of
very warm water, but it was desperately needed. We had each gone through 4
liters from our packs in a single desert day.

Wandering Bob