[pct-l] PCT advice

While I am not promoting bringing dogs along on a thru-hike I will add that there is at least one dog still out on the PCT and doing well.  James and Boomer are in Section P right now heading north.  I spent some time with James this past weekend and he shared several things about how Boomer is doing.  Keep in mind that James started earlier than most (March 25th) and he has also taken more zero days (approximately 35) and that has helped Boomer recuperate.

As one previous response suggested, bringing a dog along on a thru-hike is just one more component that could negatively impact your goal of a successful thru-hike.  I think it is wise to really evaluate your goals and determine what is more important for you and also, seriously evaluate if your K9 friend has the personality and the stamina to take this journey with you.

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Eric Lee
(GAMES)
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 2:45 AM
To: Erin Reading; pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: RE: [pct-l] PCT advice

I wrote:

If I recall correctly, one had even thru-hiked the AT
previously.

I found the reference at
http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=2039.  ERT Man and Red
had thru-hiked the AT in 2002, but Red had to get off the trail at
Warner Springs this year.

Did I mention that Southern California is brutal for dogs?

Eric