From: The Mountain Goat [mailto:themtgoat@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 2:31 PM
To: Rintoul, Alan
Subject: Re: [pct-l] mailing alcohol

This may be more info than you want, and I didn't have the USPS info for the
exact regulations....but...

You will probably get a lot of emails, or maybe not, since it was much
discussed within the last 8 months. In case nobody repsonds here is the
short, on what I have gathered.

1. You can only send ground if sending with snail mail.
2. It must be marked properly as Alcohol is flamible.
3. I don't remmeber if you can send it UPS.Fed-X.
4. There are two types of Heet, the normal one supposable works fine, there
is another type that works less-well...

5. I have switched to the Pepsi can stove and tested on a 9 day trip. Works
good. Please note that you need 2 oz of alcohol for every ounce of white gas
you would have used. but the pepsi can stove is much lighter (.4 oz) instead
of the whisper lite (16 oz) and the simmer lite (8 oz). So on shorter trips,
it would be lighter.

If the fuel discution comes up, according to my calculations, it is better
to take a butane or white gas stove if your trip is 1. at least 7 days long,
if there is 1 of you and you have the litest white-gas/butane stove
availible or if there is several people, alcohol may not be the best choice
due to weight.

Alcohol is reported to be availble at most of the reuspply points on the
PCT, according to several accounts. I have personaly verified it is availble
as heat or quart size cans at Kenedy meadows. Vermillion valley also sells
it by the ounce when I was there in 2003.
If you on the trail in 2005, see you there!

www.geocities.com/pct_2005
-Mountain Goat-

"Rintoul, Alan" <Alan.Rintoul@starwoodhotels.com> wrote:

is anyone up to date with mailing denatured alcohol and such like through
ground mail for pick up along a thru hike?
specifically, can it be mailed, if so, how much can be mailed and is any
special labeling required?

alternatively, how have people found HEET (or equivalent) in terms of
availability and performance?

cheers,

alan

This electronic message transmission contains information from the Company
that may be proprietary, confidential and/or privileged.
The information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity
named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be
aware that any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of the contents of
this information is prohibited. If you have received
this electronic transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately
by replying to the address listed in the "From:" field.

  _____

Do you Yahoo!?
Read only the mail you want - Yahoo!
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/*http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail/