[pct-l] Water filter

Good evening, Kizobear,

I too like a pump-type filter, and for several years now I have used the
Katadyn Mini Filter.  I am very pleased with its size (but nothing is small
enough), its weight (and nothing is light enough) and its function (although
nothing is fast enough).  In a recent reply, Scott Hall mentioned the model
that screws directly to the top of a bottle.  This function is very
important.  My Mini Filter originally had only a short little pee-spout,
which was a real pain.  Being able to balance the pump and stroke the
plunger while simultaneously balancing the canteen to receive the stream of
water is a fairy tale.  Doing so is difficult and tedious under the best of
conditions, which I never seem to find.

I attached an output hose to the little snout, similar to the one that now
is standard on the new Mini Filters, except my hose is longer and has a
friction stopper on the end that fits the mouth of my soda bottles.  Some
attention is necessary to keep it clean, but I invert the stopper and pump a
few strokes drinking fountain style to flush the hose and rinse the stopper.
Not perfect, but it seems to work.

The suction hose of most filters needs attention.  If they lay on the bottom
of the stream/lake, they pick up lots of sediment, which quickly clobbers
the filter.  I rubber-banded a small square of closed-cell foam to float the
hose whenever possible.

The pump-type filters have a seal on the plunger piston which is usually a
rubber o-ring.  Over time the o-ring gets very sticky in the bore causing
difficult pumping and accelerated wear on the ring.  The seal needs periodic
lubrication, and the best thing I have found for the purpose is ChapStick.
It is readily available, persistent, waterproof, and "food grade" so the
water won't taste like you just licked an axle bearing.

Enjoy..

Steel-Eye