[pct-l] Water filter

I own a PUR Hiker - although PUR sold the design to Katadyn,
which now makes and sells it. It's a good filter. The best
thing about it is the speed at which it pumps compared to
most other filters. A couple of times I've been the object
of other hiker's envy, as they watched me pump 2 liters in
about 5 minutes.

I learned to combine it with a Platypus equipped with a
bite-valve drinking tube. You can remove the bite-valve
from the tube end and attach the tube directly to the outlet
nipple on the Hiker. Using this setup, you can dispense with
the outlet tube that comes with the Hiker and save a couple
of ounces. I also put mine into a lighter weight bag than the
original bag.

Not counting the weight of the Platypus or drinking tube,
my PUR Hiker in its bag is 11 oz. There are other, lighter
filters that, if you are willing to do more field maintenance
and more work pumping, will save several ounces over the
Hiker. It's your call.