[pct-l] Followup Backpack Question

--- Don Hames <majdon43@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Another topic:  What are your opinions and
> experiences with the Go Lite Trek pack? I'm new to
> lightweight/ultralightweight backpacking and am in
> the process of updating my gear from the 1970's
> stuff I have now.

I've been using this pack for a few months now.  It
seems good so far.  It's sturdy, and light weight, and
also pretty large.  One thing, I found I didn't need
all the external pockets, so I just unclipped them and
took them off.  There was a "rain fly" that didn't
seem to do much of anything, and I doubt would keep
anything dry so it also got removed.  I believe
there's another Golite pack similar to the Trek
without all the pouches you may want to look at, if
you don't need all the extra space and want to save
some money.

I use a 3/4 length ridge rest folded up to give the
pack some support, this seems to work very well.  Only
issue I have with this system is, if I want the pad,
EVERYTHING has to come out of the pack, not just the
sleeping pad.  Also, there's some sort of foam support
built into the back.  I'm not sure how it'll hold up
long term.  It tends to bunch up if I put the pack
down and it can be annoying when I put it back on and
have to work out wrinkles in the foam inside the pack
backing.

All in all though, I like this pack, and definatly
recommend it.