From: "SW" <wohlken@geaugaparkdistrict.org>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 7:54 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Followup Backpack Question

Hello again everyone--

I've received so much great information from everyone since my last question
regarding backpacks that I think it will take me weeks to follow through on
all the suggestions--but that is what it's all about :-).  Anyway, I have a
follow-up question that I think I already know the answer to, but I am
curious to see how you all feel about this issue.  This centers around a
debate raging right now between my trail partner and myself.  Her stance is
that this long trek is in effect an expedition, and as such we should carry
packs (albeit, all with ultralight gear and using as light of a pack as we
can find) with a cu. in. range of 4800-5500 (especially to handle all the
food and water during times that we won't be able to re-supply).  I, on the
other hand, feel that as long as we are going as light a possible, that also
includes bringing only the basics--and thus, in theory, we should not need
that much capacity.  I don't really know what the perfect capacity would be,
but I would say that a 2000 cu. in. pack wouldn't be out of the
question--with a 4800 cu. in. pack being the absolute largest capacity that
I would even consider at this point.  Thoughts?

Thanks again to everyone who has been so generous.  You all are making me
feel like we can actually pull this little adventure off :-) !

Shane