[pct-l] Castle Crags quick trip ideas

Mike,

By all means "play tourist" in Mt.Shasta - a charming, fun town with great shops on the main north/south drag.

Also, Lake Siskiyou (man made) in Mt. Shasta. I've not been on it yet but I understand there is a trail around a good portion of the Lake. It is new and made by volunteers from the local trail clubs.

Don't miss the fish hatchery, either (west side of I-5). A small, delightful museum is right beside it

US Forest Service Office for the Shasta-Trinity National Forest is at: 204 West Alma, Mt. Shasta; 530-926-4511.

And last but not least, take Hwy 89 (off I- 5 between Dunsmuir and Mt. Shasta) towards McCloud and go to the ski area. I do not think it running yet but during the summer you can ride the lift to the top and enjoy a picnic lunch with some incredible views then ride the lift back down. Also fun to watch the cyclists barrel down the hill!

No supplies in Castella other than food. There is an out door store in Mt. Shasta called the Fifth Season where you'll be able to get virtually any gear you need/want.

Enjoy. This is a beautiful part of the world.

JoAnn